Friday, July 11, 2008

Stage 3: Run Amok

The Run — The last leg is the 3.25 mile run which is an out and back route with the finish line at the YMCA. The run starts south on Winding Brook Drive to Nott Road when it turns left proceeding eastward. It takes a left turn into a residential neighborhood at Campus Club Drive and left again onto Hiawatha Drive. This is the halfway point of the run. Hiawatha Drive loops around and meets again with Campus Club Drive. The course follows the same route backward to the YMCA and to the Finish Line!


So the final part of the race is the run. Please turn in your copy of The World According to Chad (soon to be available from Amazon) to page 107 and let me quote from the subsection titled "Run...Why?"

Chad's Philosophy on Running
"Webster's defines the word "run" as "to go faster than a walk; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step." My personal criteria for running is: 1: Running should only be down when someone is chasing you. 2: Criterion 1 is in effect and the person or thing is trying to do harm or kill you (even then it is questionable if you should in fact run)


I have never been a good runner part of this is due to the "Burdette Knee" I seemed to inherit. If I am running with someone then I am good because I have someone pacing me and I can usually find that get up an go to match pace, however if I try to do it by myself I do more of a run-walk split. This of course is what I am supposed to be doing to try and build up my knee so I don't have to wear the IT band to keep the tendon from moving.

So the run is the weakest part of the race for me. I think if I could lose weight then running would not be so painful. I did a lot of training on the ARC Trainer and leg presses to try and build the leg muscles up but my leg muscles are just so tight and it feels if I could just get them to loosen a bit then I would be more comfortable running.

And you want to know what the kicker is....the last part of the run to the Finish Line is uphill....ugh!!! Well I just hope they can identify my body when they pull it from the weeds on the side of the road.

So tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I have a few more minor things I need to do to be ready for the race plus I have to go and pick up my race packet and get "marked" at the Y. Should be fun...willl pictures and video clips hopefully.

well bed time...up to late...but I had to sneak this one in before the day was technically over

No comments: